Linocut Repeat Patterns

Recently I have been experimenting with creating linocut repeat patterns. It's been quite a while since I last desinged and created repeats entirely by hand and doing this through lino cutting is a completely new process to me. I've found it really enjoyable and very satisfying as I love the puzzle in desiging everything to fit together both technically and in terms of having a natural flow, but also the reward of printing the lino and seeing everything print and line up the way I imagined.

My first linocut repeat, which I shared in a previous post, was inspired by a book that I found at school, documenting British trees with the most beautiful encyclopedia illustrations. I used a combination of leaves and seedpods for my repeat.
One of the things I love about lino cutting is the sense of movement you can inject into your designs simply by using the character of the medium. I wanted to create a full repeat with leaves that could be moving and rustling in the wind. Once my design was cut and printed using lino, I then transferred it onto Photoshop and exposed it on a screen for ease of printing. The image above is the digital version.

My next two repeats I created after spending my summer working and holidaying in Greece and Italy. The brightness of the oranges hanging from trees in people's gardens really struck me as little polka dot accents in the green backdrop. And the sheer amount of pear juice I consumed, particularly at my friends' wedding, was one of the highlights!


No comments:

Post a Comment