Sussex Thatching

Recently I was asked to create a logo for a thatching business. Greg, an excellent thatcher from Sussex, initially approached me with some ideas about a logo being inspired by 1930s railway posters. I was super excited as I had never tried to work in this style. I love a challenge and a reason to try something different.

Straight away I started looking through posters for research, trying to soak up the style through the use of colour, tone and composition. Greg had some sketches of his own ideas already which gave me a good starting point and, since they involved the cliffs at Seven Sisters, they seemed perfect to translate into a 1930s landscape like the ones I had been looking at.



I quickly began working towards a logo, playing with colour and referring back to the posters; I particularly love their use of purples and pinks.

The finished logo shows the Seven Sisters cliffs in the distance with a thatched cottage (that I hope is up to Greg's standards) within a crest of wheat.


And then for the most exciting bit...Greg had the logo transferred onto his van...


So if you need a thatcher, you know where to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment